The landscape of medicine is rapidly changing and every day I'm dialoguing physician moms who are in the inquiry of where to next take their careers. One of the biggest questions that come up is "should I even be in this field of medicine anymore?"With environments becoming more toxic than ever, and reimbursements steadily declining it's no wonder doctors are questioning their career choices. The conflict comes when so many of the Dr. Mommies who are feeling exhausted and overwhelmed think it's time to quit medicine, yet they still LOVE the clinical part. What I've found is more than not, it's the job environment that is the culprit. As I've conversed over the years with Dr. Mommies in my physician career coaching practice, here are 10 warning signs I've come up with that signal it may be time to look for another job.
1. You constantly feel disrespected, disregarded, and unappreciated at your job
2. Your values are clearly not in line with the values of the practice or corporation you are working for.
3. You've tried talking to staff, management, and leadership to improve things but either no one is listening or they are paying you lip service and nothing is actually changing
4. You are being grossly underpaid as compared to colleagues in similar specialty (AND when you ask for a raise, you are blown off or held at bay).
5. Your job circumstance is significantly affecting your physical health and mental health and no one seems to notice or care.
6. You dread going into the office on a regular basis
7. Your workplace has no physician well-being programs in evolution or in place and is not even trying to show interest in this area.
8. You are experiencing workplace bullying or abuse
9. You are beginning to doubt yourself and your competence in that environment.
10. You question your choice to even be in medicine and are considering jumping ship altogether.
These are just 10 warning signs, and there are likely others not covered here. The point is if you are experiencing one or more of these it may be time to look for another career home. You don't necessarily have to quit medicine to have a fulfilling career that gives you the autonomy, connection, and flexibility that will allow you to take care of yourself, spend time with those you love, and feel like you are making a difference as a physician. However, if you are still questioning whether or not you should stay or go, read Part 2 of this series: 4 Ways to Know It May Be Time for a Career Change.
We want to know YOUR thoughts. Please leave comments on this article with your insights and opinions about this topic.
To Learn more about how you can create the career of your design, visit www.stressfreemommd.com