Easy enchiladas with plenty of plant based protein, a good dose of veggies, and a creamy sauce. Enjoy!!
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 40 mins
½ red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
½ zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)
15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp cumin, divided
½ tsp salt, divided (or to taste)
15 oz canned white beans, rinsed and drained
16 oz jarred salsa
½ tsp chili powder (See Tip below)
½ cup water, or vegetable broth
8 tortillas (corn or flour)
Toppings of choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in ¼ cup water until translucent - about 5-6 minutes. Add additional water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the garlic, red pepper, zucchini, 1 tsp cumin, and ¼ tsp salt and sauté 2 minutes. Add the black beans and stir to combine. Turn heat to low to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- To make the sauce: combine the salsa, white beans, 1 tsp cumin, chili powder, ½ cup water, and ¼ tsp salt in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. (See tip below)
- Add 1 cup of the sauce to the black bean zucchini mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour ½ cup of the sauce to the bottom of a 7.5 x 11 baking dish (or similar).
- Place about 1/3 cup filling into one tortilla, roll up, and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Top the filled enchiladas in the baking pan with the remaining sauce and any remaining filling. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with toppings of choice. We like guacamole, sliced jalapeños, cilantro, and Creamy Cumin Ranch Dressing. Enjoy!
Tip: If you use a very strong spicy salsa, you may not need the extra cumin and chili powder in the sauce. Taste after blending the white beans, salsa, and water and adjust as necessary.