Curry Mee Noodle Soup
Everyone loves a simple chicken noodle soup. This is not that soup. Curry Mee Noodle Soup has a broth rich with spices and creamy coconut milk. Ladled over a nest of noodles and topped with caramelized shallots – it sounds complex, but it’s definitely not. Enjoy!!
Yield: 6 servings
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced lemon grass
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1-2 teaspoons (depending on preferred heat) Vietnamese Chili Garlic Sauce, more for serving
¾ pound chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces (vegetarian option - use portabella mushrooms)
3 tablespoons curry powder
½ teaspoon paprika
1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
9 ounces Asian noodles (udon, soba, or vermicelli will work)
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 scallions, cut into thin rings
2 shallots, thinly sliced and deep fried in vegetable oil until brown (optional)
2 limes, quartered for serving (the limes make the soup - don't do without them!)
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, ginger and lemon grass. Cook about 10 minutes, until softened. If starting to brown, turn down the heat.
- Add garlic and chili paste, stir until fragrant - about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add the chicken. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add curry powder and paprika and stir to coat the chicken (or mushrooms).
- Add coconut milk, chicken stock, turmeric, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, start the noodles following the package instructions. Rinse, drain and set aside.
- Taste the broth and adjust seasonings with salt.
- Divide noodles into large soup bowls. (store noodles separately for leftovers)
- When ready to serve, ladle hot broth over noodles.
- Top with cilantro, scallions and fried shallots.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime and additional chili paste.
Tip: Not thick enough for you? Add a few boiled potatoes