Quick and Easy Vegan Stroganoff
You'll love this quick and easy vegan stroganoff because you can whip it up in one pan and you only need 10 ingredients to recreate it at home. For those of you who may not be familiar with seitan, have no fear! It is a plant-based protein that is made from wheat gluten and has a chewy texture similar to beef or chicken. I promise it is not as weird as it sounds. This quick and easy vegan stroganoff is a good one to make when trying out seitan for the first time in a more familiar comfort food like stroganoff. Can't find seitan? You could easily substitute with white beans or chickpeas in a pinch. Enjoy!!
Prep time: 8 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 28 min
4 tablespoons olive oil
8 oz. package cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups fresh spinach leaves
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Tip: Use a low-sodium vegetable broth to reduce the total sodium in this recipe for those with reduced sodium needs. You can also adjust the added salt if needed.
- Add olive oil to a non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat for a minute. Add the mushrooms and saute until mushrooms have softened and released their moisture.
- Stir in the flour and saute until flour starts to lightly brown.
- Stir in the broth ½ a cup at a time, stirring well and cooking for a minute or two with each additional ½ cup.
- Stir in the seitan, rosemary, thyme and bring to a simmer until broth thickens to gravy consistency.
- Add the spinach. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Season with the salt and pepper (adjust as needed to taste). Serve over cooked pasta.
Serving Size: 1/2 Recipe
Calories: 519 kcals | Sugar: 4.5 g | Sodium: 1785 mg
Fat: 30 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Unsaturated Fat: 16 g | Trans Fat: 0 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g | Fiber: 3 g | Protein: 36 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg