Healthy & Spicy Fish Taco Salad
Taking our favorite fish tacos from the restaurant and making it more tasty and healthy by grilling instead of frying. Enjoy!!
[For the Marinade]
¼ Cup vegetable oil
½ Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 lime, juiced
1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
Small bunch of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
[For the Salad]
1 lb fish of choice
1½ heads of romaine lettuce, chopped and washed
¼ red onion, finely sliced
Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Frozen corn, heated
Tortilla, sliced into strips
Cooked Rice, if desired
[For the Spicy Avocado Lime Dressing]
2 limes, zest grated and juice
1 Cup light sour cream
1 jalapeno, cored and seeds removed
¼ cup vegetable oil
Handful of cilantro
Hot sauce, a few splashes
Salt and pepper, to taste
- First, let's get the spicy avocado lime dressing made. In a food processor, blend together the avocados, lime zest and juice, sour cream, jalapeno, hot sauce, cilantro and salt and pepper until very smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add in the oil and blend for another minute. Store covered in the fridge until ready to use.
- Next, place fish in glass container. In a small bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients, and pour over fish. Gently toss fish to cover both sides and put aside to marinate for 15 minutes. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In large frying pan, add oil to ½" depth. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add a few tortilla strips at a time and fry until golden, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Place a piece of tin foil on to the grill and add fish. Cook about 4 minutes per side, or until flakes easily.
- On large plates or bowls, assemble your salad. Start with lettuce on bottom, add tomatoes and onions, then corn. Put a piece of fish on top with a dollop of fresh salsa, and drizzle with dressing. Add a few tortilla strips to the plate and if adding rice, put on the side.